Saturday 23 December 2023

Christmas Costumes

Join a new Christmas Folk Tradition!

I’ve been doing this ritual with my family for the last 10 years.

Make your own Christmas Costumes this year and help me achieve my dream!
My dream of every Boxing Day, across the UK, people emerging from their houses in homemade costumes and joining their neighbours in a procession.

Save all the Christmas Day rubbish: wrapping paper, cardboard boxes from mince pies, Christmas crackers, paper plates etc.

Recycle it into costumes, hats, masks, headdresses.

Parade around wearing your costumes.

And then burn your costumes on a festive bonfire.
(This burning is my personal favourite bit of the ritual, but you could just put the costumes in the recycling after you have finished parading about in them).

Suggested Timetable:


Christmas Day

Tear open your gifts! 
Save the wrapping paper, boxes, bows, ribbons, sparkly bits.
I like to put it all under the dining table, spending the rest of the day adding the cardboard boxes from mince pies, cheese selections, paper crowns and Crackers.


Boxing Day

After you’ve all sat around for your meal of Christmas Dinner leftovers, clear the table.
Bring out all the paper, cardboard and ribbons you’ve gathered under the table since yesterday.
And get making!
I’m really looking forward to seeing your Christmas Costumes.

Merry Christmas Burn Up!



Watch a short PowerPoint on Christmas Costumes:


Some of those who took part in 2022




Lara Band and family

Lara Band and family

Sonia Overall and family

Sonia Overall and family's burn up

Zoe Chan


Please send me your photos of you and your family in costume.
Merry Christmas! 



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can’t recommend this activity highly enough…

Liberty Rowley said...

Thanks!